(Patrick Carnes, 2010)
- Acting out--a pattern of out-of-control sexual behavior.
- Experiencing severe consequences due to sexual behavior, and an inability to stop despite these adverse consequences.
- Persistent pursuit of self-destructive behavior.
- Ongoing desire or effort to limit sexual behavior.
- Sexual obsession and fantasy as a primary coping strategy.
- Regularly increasing the amount of sexual experience because the current level of activity is no longer sufficiently satisfying.
- Severe mood changes related to sexual activity.
- Inordinate amounts of time spent obtaining sex, being sexual, and recovering from sexual experiences.
- Neglect of important social, occupational, or recreational activities because of sexual behaviors.
The following is a link to the free Sexual Addiction Screening Test (SAST), designed to assist in the assessment of sexually compulsive behavior which may indicate the presence of sex addiction: